Friday, January 18, 2013

My Aztecan Story: Submit Yes -or- No?

Hey guys! So I wrote a little Aztecan Story Contest on Johnny's blog. Not sure if I should enter, it kinda sucks. Actually you guys tell me! If ya like it send me an email to -mrsjameson60@gmail.com- I call it the Ship's Log, here it tis':

"Ship's Log 
Ships' Log Twentieth January Year of Our Lord Twenty Thirteen

It has been seven days since we found land, four since the first crew members showed signs of infection and just one day since I became the last surviving member of the Red Anchor. Me, the ships cabin boy. 

We had been searching for landfall for such an age both water and food supplies were running low. When John Collins finally sighted this lush green isle we all felt that it was a miracle. He was the first to die. That we were finally saved. Upon making landfall scouts were sent out to find food and drinking water. They came back soon after with various fruit and canteens full of water. As we were having our fill the scouts described the animals they had seen, colourful scaly creatures who grazed on the many green leaves of the island. 

It was a few days later that people started getting sick. It was the bright eyes and shiny pallor that were the first signs. Stomach pains followed, then delirium and fever and finally a period of lucidity before they passed away. At first we all thought it would pass but when John Collins passed followed shortly by the first mate we all knew and began to wonder who would be the next to go. I was the only one not to contract the disease and spend days trying to comfort crew members in their final hours. 

Eventually it was just me and the cook Simon Reeve. We decided we ought to move and camp away from the bay we had first landed on. We had heard strange noises nearby in the night. Further inland we discovered a clearing around a waterfall. Having made camp and prepared dinner we were watching the stars when I noticed his lack of focus and clammy skin. I said nothing but found his body by the water this morning. I must decided where my fate now leads me. I cannot sail the ship alone meaning my only option is to explore the island. I am isolated on a uncharted island. I have no shelter and only rudimentary weapons with which I have little skill. My future looks bleak at best. 

Twenty-First January Year of Our Lord Twenty Thirteen

 My eyes have been open to new and exciting possibilities. It is all down to my new friend, Kawil Doomclaw. Let me start at the beginning. 

I was awoken by a loud squealing and squalling. On the waters edge nearby were creatures unlike any I had ever seen before. Green and yellow scales covered their bodies which was covered in old scars. They appeared to be flocking together like sea birds over a school of fish. Fighting for position on the carcass. Or rather what I thought was a carcass, a groaning alerted me to the fact that the victim of the attack was still alive. Having a weakness for the underdog as I do, I rushed at the creatures, making as much noise as possible. They all took off into the sky and settled in the trees where they stared at me balefully.

Now that I could see him, the creature I had just saved was purple in colour and scaled he also appear to be bleeding in multiple place. As I looked at him he appear to look straight at me and smile. I know it sounds crazy but he did before promptly falling unconscious. I managed to manoeuvre my purple friend to my camp site and tend to his wounds with some effort. Now I could see him properly I realised he was only slightly shorter than me and appeared to be wearing some kind of rudimentary armour. His shape he scales which covered him reminded me of the stories my father used to tell me of ancient lizards called dinosaurs that lived on the earth millions of years ago.

Hours later he began to stir, his eyes flickered towards the bird-things in the trees before resting on my face. Then to my great surprise in rusty but fluent English he thanked me for saving me. My astonishment must have show on my face as he explain that I was not the first visitor to the island. Apparently others who looked like me with 'power over the elements' had arrived through a different route and help his tribe in a time of need. For saving him he insists that he must repay the debt and has swore to protect me where ever I go on the island.

My new friend Kawil appears to recover very quickly from his ordeal as he was soon up and searching in the undergrowth nearby. He found what he was looking for and appeared with two swords in his short front claws which he could use while standing on his back legs. He motioned for me to enter the jungle and we began travelling.

I am astounded that not only are there the dinosaurs my father described but that they have a real civilization with a culture and language. More of these incredible creatures were revealed when took me to his village. There were numerous creatures who looked just like him in different sizes and varying shades of blue and purple. Kawil guided me to a hut in the centre of the village. Smoke surrounded the interior, as it cleared I saw what appeared to be an ancient version of Kawil. We sat in a circle and the elder stared at me silence for several minutes. When he finally spoke it was clear that he had been expecting me for some time. Apparently the legends of this tribe predicted my coming, I am believed to save them for the great evil that threatens the island.

I am now in a small hut in the village, in the morning Kawil and I will start out on a great adventure. I can't"

I know some typo's but email me if I should send it in, I'm a little shy to share my work. That's why this blog isn't as full as I'd like it to be. Until next time. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi. Nice to see an active writer. I love fiction especially based on future and past events.

    You asked about the best way to reach me. You can leave me comments through my blog or if you have a very specific question you can email me at inetsuperman at yahoo dot com. (Spelling it out so the spam-bots don't pick it up)

    ReplyDelete